Did you know that California has a mandatory 6-month waiting period from the day you serve your spouse with divorce papers?
That means, once you file the divorce petition and serve it on your spouse, you will have to wait at least six months for your divorce to be finalized.
Through our 7 Day Divorce Package, uncontested divorce papers will be in your hands within 4-6 weeks if you or your spouse stay in Guam for 7 days! Under current Guam law, an uncontested divorce may be granted if both parties are in agreement to the terms of the divorce and at least one spouse visits Guam for a minimum of 7 days prior to filing the petition. Divorce can be finalized.
WHERE IS GUAM?
Guam, a small tropical island, is an organized, unincorporated territory of the United States in the Micronesia sub-region of the western Pacific Ocean. Guam is located in the Australia & Oceania Continent, nearly 3,300 miles west of Hawaii. It is east of the Philippines, north of Papua New Guinea, and south of Japan. Guam's capital is Hagåtña, and the most populous village is Dededo.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS 7 DAY DIVORCE PACKAGE?
7 DAY DIVORCE powered by Counterpoint Legal is ideal for married couples who wish to finalize divorce without waiting for at least 6 months. 7 DAY DIVORCE uses the Guam Court system to obtain a United States divorce. Under Guam law, if both non-resident spouses consent to uncontested divorce on Guam, agree to the terms of the divorce, and if one of the spouses comes to Guam for a minimum stay of seven (7) consecutive days and seven (7) nights, they can obtain their divorce on the island, and divorce papers can be obtained within 4-6 weeks.
HOW MUCH DOES 7 day divorce package COST?
For $10K, you can take advantage of the 7 DAY DIVORCE ALL-IN PACKAGE! This includes the legal fee, court costs, mailing fee---and of course, your airfare and hotel accommodation for your 7-day stay in Guam.
For the regular cost for both to retain attorneys, you can go on vacation and get a divorce--all at once!
WHAT IS UNCONTESTED DIVORCE?
When couples divorce, there are usually several decisions that need to be made. These may relate to issues including asset and debt division, spousal support/alimony, child support, custody and visitation, and other matters. If BOTH spouses agree on all of the major issues, that is called an "UNCONTESTED DIVORCE".
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE 7 DAY DIVORCE PACKAGE?
7 DAY DIVORCE (ALL-IN PACKAGE)
- Airfare ✓
- Hotel accommodation(7 Days & 7 Nights) ✓
- Retainer Fee ✓
- Notary, mailing and other legal fees ✓
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO FINALIZE UNCONTESTED DIVORCE THROUGH 7 DAY DIVORCE PACKAGE?
Upon filing the documents with the court, a judge will be assigned then the matter will be set down for a hearing after a few weeks.
After your 7-DAY stay in Guam, your finalized divorce paperwork should be in your hands within 4-6 weeks!
WILL OTHER STATES RECOGNIZE A GUAM DIVORCE?
Yes! Guam divorces are valid and recognized throughout all 50 States and U.S. Territories.
According to Article IV, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution and Federal Law, 28 United States Code, section 1738: authenticated judicial records from any State, Territory, or Possession "shall have the same full faith and credit in every court within the United States and its Territories and Possessions as they have by law or usage in the courts of such State, Territory or Possession from which they are taken."
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR 7 DAYS DIVORCE PACKAGE?
- Divorce must be UNCONTESTED. Both spouses must consent to the divorce and agree to file for divorce in Guam.
- if needed, we can prepare a Marital Settlement Agreement indicating specific provisions for all the issues involved in the divorce.
- Either you or your spouse must stay in Guam for seven (7) days and seven (7) nights.
WHAT IF MY SPOUSE WON'T CONSENT TO A DIVORCE?
The 7 DAY DIVORCE is ONLY available when both parties agree to the divorce. Otherwise, the only other option is to live in Guam for 90 consecutive days. This is the minimum residency requirement to file a contested divorce in Guam.
WHAT IF MY SPOUSE SUDDENLY REVOKED their CONSENT?
Under the retainer agreement, if this occurs the client forfeits his or her full payment. But hey, you can still enjoy your 7-day vacation in Guam!
WHAT IS THE PROCESS OF FILING FOR 7 DAY DIVORCE?
- Fill out the form below to schedule an appointment with us to discuss your case further.
- Complete and sign the paperwork.
- Once the documents have been properly signed and notarized, either you or your spouse will need to come to Guam to meet the 7-day residency requirement.
- Meet with our Hagatna team to finalize, sign and notarize documents. Please note that notary requires a photo ID.
- Important: the spouse who won't be visiting Guam must sign and notarize the necessary document(s) before the visiting party departs for Guam.
- Enjoy your vacation for seven days and seven nights in Guam! You will find plenty things to keep yourself busy during your 7-day stay.
- After the visiting spouse departs following the 7-day residency requirement, our Hagatna team will immediately file all the divorce documents with the Guam Superior Court.
- We will notify you once we have the hearing date.
- We will attend the hearing and advise you when it has been completed.
- It will take a few days after the hearing for the Court to forward the finalized documents to our office. Upon receipt, we will mail them to you and email you that they are on their way.
- You are then officially divorced!
WILL EITHER MY SPOUSE OR I NEED TO SIGN ANY DOCUMENT(S)?
Yes. The following documents need to be signed:
- Complaint for Divorce
- Appearance & Waiver form (MUST be notarized in front of a U.S. notary public)
- Marital Settlement Agreement (upon request only and needs to be signed by both spouses)
- "Declaration of Guam Residency" and a "Declaration Requesting Entry of an Immediate Final Decree of Divorce" (visiting spouse only)
IS IT SAFE TO TRAVEL TO GUAM AMIDST THE PANDEMIC?
Definitely! In fact, Guam has a high 90% full vaccination rate, making it the new vacation capital!
You may check this article to know more about Guam's vaccination rate:
CAN GUAM COURTS DECIDE CONTESTED DIVORCE ISSUES?
In order to file for a contested divorce, one of the spouses must stay and live in Guam for 90 consecutive days.
Other matters involving the divorce such as child custody, alimony, child support, and the division of finances, property and debts can be decided by the Guam court if the minimum residency requirement is met.
WANT MORE INFO ABOUT 7 DAY DIVORCE POWERED BY COUNTERPOINT LEGAL?
Fill out the form below, and one of our representatives will reach out to you to discuss your case further.